How do you people feel about a this or that name game? This one will be just generally about names that are similar in any way, either they’re variants of each other, or different spellings, or one is the full form and the other a nickname of it, or they sound similar or just have a kind of similar vibe. You tell me which one you prefer for each of the pairs below and feel free to expand on that and say why if you want.
- Elin or Helen?
- Nils or Lars?
- Ella or Bella?
- Jake or Jack?
- Emily or Emma?
- James or Michael?
- Ava or Eva?
- David or Isaac?
- Christina or Kristin?
- Kevin or Kieran?
- Elisabeth or ELizabeth?
- John or Peter?
- Christine or Justine?
- Erik or Elias?
- Frances or Francine?
- William or George?
- Maria or Mary?
- Luc or Michel?
- Wilhelmina or Wilma?
- Matti or Antti?
- Eugenia or Euphemia?
- Basil or Cecil?
- Noelle or Natalie?
- Nathaniel or Nathan?
- Felicia or Felicity?
- Felix or Phoenix?
- Natalia or Julia?
- Nicholas or Noel?
- Petronella or Dulcibella?
- Jasper or Casper?
- Rachel or Ruth?
- Leonard or Bernard?
- Xenia or Sonia?
- Serge or Ivan?
- Sofia or Sophia?
- Joseph or Jacob?
- Tiffany or Brittany?
- Jeremy or Zachary?
- Amber or Crystal?
- Tyler or Dylan?
- Sofie or Sophie?
- Harry or Charlie?
- Kirsty or Kirsten?
- Christopher or Christian?
- Jayne or Rayne?
- Andrew or Thomas?
- Melanie or Stephanie?
- Stefan or Stephen?
- Anna or Anne?
- Adam or Alexander?
- Evie or Stevie?
- Taylor or Jayden?
- Ann or Nan?
- Edward or Henry?
- Margareta or Margherita?
- Timothy or Anthony?
- Erika or Ulrika?
- Fredrik or Sven?
- Elin or Helen? – Elin for sure! I love both, but Elin has more of a personality, plus it’s both Swedish and Scandinavian. If I had to choose between Elin or Helena, I would probably have more of a problem.
- Nils or Lars? – Both are kind of nice but at the same time feel rather bland and boring to me. I think I very slightly prefer Lars though, obviously pronounced the Scandinavian way LAHSH.
- Ella or Bella? – Both are super popular in America and I prefer them as nicknames, yet I still do like them both as standalone names as well. I think I choose Ella though because I know a lot of dogs called Bella, plus I don’t like the association with Bella Swan and the “beautiful” meaning is slightly cliche.
- Jake or Jack? – Duh!
- Emily or Emma? – Both are boring and overused but I think I like Emily slightly more.
- James or Michael? – Michael.
- Ava or Eva? – I dislike Ava slightly less than Eva I guess.
- David or Isaac? – David, I think, though I feel pretty neutral about both.
- Christina or Kristin? – Kristin all the way, but mostly just because I’ve seen it a bit less in my life than I have Christina so it’s not as boring, and because of Kristin Lavransdatter whom I really love. I’m rather neutral about all Christine-related names.
- Kevin or Kieran? – Most definitely Kevin. I actually quite like Kevin or even more so its original Irish form Caoimhín, but I really dislike Kieran, and Ciaran (the Irish form) as well, for that matter.
- Elisabeth or ELizabeth? – Both are amazing but I prefer Elisabeth ‘cause it’s more aesthetically pleasing to my brain as is the Scandinavian pronunciation.
- John or Peter? – That’s a hard one, I think I pretty much like them equally… Huh, I can’t make up my mind! 😀 Well okay, let’s say Peter ‘cause I like the sound better I think.
- Christine or Justine? – Christine I guess?
- Erik or Elias? – Elias, and again I prefer the Scandinavian pronunciation compared to the English, i.e. with the “ee” rather than “I” sound in the middle, but even with the English one I still prefer Elias.
- Frances or Francine? – Francine, but mostly because I once wrote a short story where there was a Francine. She was supposed to be a very narrow-minded, unlikeable character but I ended up really liking her ‘cause she turned out totally different than I planned. 😀 Talk about not having control over your characters.
- William or George? – Absolutely William! I love William and the vast majority of its forms and I dislike George and the majority of its forms.
- Maria or Mary? – Maria. I see both everywhere since Maria is so common in Poland and Scandinavia and Mary in the Anglosphere but I think Maria is more… I don’t know how to put it… colourful or something? Kind of more flexible because it fits better in all types of name combos. Not that Mary doesn’t, but Maria does it better.
- Luc or Michel – Michel, it sounds and looks nicer, and it has the Mish sound in it.
- Wilhelmina or Wilma? – Wilhelmina hands down. I love Wilhelmina but Wilma is meh.
- Matti or Antti? – Matti! Antti is okay, but Matti’s even better. This Finnish form is my favourite variant of Matthew.
- Eugenia or Euphemia? – Definitely Euphemia. I used to really dislike Eugenia but it’s been slowly growing on me. Still, I like Euphemia a lot more.
- Basil or Cecil? – I don’t like Basil and feel rather neutral about Cecil, so Cecil.
- Noelle or Natalie? – Noelle, it’s lovely.
- Nathaniel or Nathan? – Nathaniel.
- Felicia or Felicity? – This is really difficult, because I would generally say Felicia, because I love it slightly more than Felicity, but only pronounced fe-LEE-see-uh. If Felicia was to be pronounced the standard English way fe-LEE-shuh, I think I’d vote for Felicity.
- Felix or Phoenix? – I love Felix, so it’s Felix, but Phoenix is fairly nice too and surprisingly I quite like it for both genders.
- Natalia or Julia? – Hmmmm… This is complicated, because both of these names are super popular here in Poland for babies and also among gen Z, so I’m really quite fed up with them, but at the same time I do think these are nice names and before I discovered Emily of New Moon and before Julia became super popular I had a brief moment when I wanted to be a Julia. I think Julia is more popular than Natalia now though and Sofi had like five Julias in her class, so Natalia feels more refreshing, hence I choose Natalia.
- Nicholas or Noel? – Noel, though they are both cool.
- Petronella or Dulcibella? – Dulcibella’s been my guilty pleasure for a few years now, why don’t people call their kids this anymore when -ella names are so popular? I wish I could see at least one birth announcement of a Dulcibella. And nn Dulcie is so literally sweet.
- Jasper or Casper? – Jasper, ‘cause it’s like the stone, and jaspers are one my favourite stones. In fact, you regular folks on here know that I give my stones human names, and I’m so creative and original that I have one cute little reddish jasper stone called Jasper. 😀
- Rachel or Ruth? – Rachel. Ruth is more unexpected these days and has more of a defined personality as a name, but I feel a little ambivalent about it whereas Rachel is very unequivocally warm and kind of cosy imo.
- Leonard or Bernard? – Leonard, but both are meh.
- Xenia or Sonia? – Xenia I suppose, but to my Polish ear they both feel nicknamey.
- Serge or Ivan? – Serge, just because I don’t like Ivan.
- Sofia or Sophia? – Sofia but both are lovely.
- Joseph or Jacob? – Jacob, not a fan of Joseph really.
- Tiffany or Brittany? – Uhm, no idea… They’re so similar I always mix them up anyway. I guess Tiffany sounds a bit nicer though.
- Jeremy or Zachary? – Zachary I think.
- Amber or Crystal? – Crystal.
- Tyler or Dylan? – Dylan, but don’t care for either really.
- Sofie or Sophie? – This is an impossible choice! I can never make my mind up about it. I guess I’m the same with Sophie and Sofie as I am with my languages – the one I like more is the one I’m seeing/thinking about at a particular moment.
- Harry or Charlie? – Charlie, not crazy at all about Harry.
- Kirsty or Kirsten? – Kirsty looks better.
- Christopher or Christian? – Christopher! I like it a lot, Christian not so much.
- Jayne or Rayne?
- Andrew or Thomas? – Andrew.
- Melanie or Stephanie? – I like Melanie a lot more.
- Stefan or Stephen? – If it was Steven and Stephen, I’d choose Steven, but as it is, I think I choose Stephen.
- Anna or Anne? – Anna, of course, though I really like both.
- Adam or Alexander? – Alexander for sure, not a fan of Adam.
- Evie or Stevie? – Evie is a lot fresher, though I’d much prefer something longer like Evelyn or Evangeline, it’s really childish imo as a standalone option.
- Taylor or Jayden? – Taylor, though don’t like either.
- Ann or Nan? – Actually, I guess Nan. Ann is really underwhelming compared to Anne/Anna, and Nan at least feels more dynamic and has something bright and zippy about it.
- Edward or Henry? – That’s difficult because I just don’t like either… but… perhaps I dislike Edward a bit less. Not sure here really.
- Margareta or Margherita? – Margareta, but both are super clunky imo.
- Timothy or Anthony? – Timothy because I like Tim and because I don’t like Anthony.
- Erika or Ulrika? – Erika.
- Fredrik or Sven? – Both are kind of boring but I choose Fredrik solely because it reminds me of Cornelis Vreeswijk’s Fredrik Åkare character which generally I’d say is a positive association.
- Over to you, guys. Which ones do you prefer?